Scarey ko by Walker

Yeah that was nasty. And Walker looked more confident than he did at 205 the last few fights. I’m excited about this

1 Like

That plum remedies me of prime Ubereem and semmy shilt. That guy threw knees to the head like jabs

2 Likes

Walker almost killed Khalil in the clinch.

1 Like

https://x.com/ufconparamount/status/2106500920385105923?s=46

2 Likes

I was a little worried for that guy the way be was gasping and how he was almost posturing after that knee

1 Like

I’d love to see a rematch of Hill and Walker at heavyweight

1 Like

I just love watching guys in the clinch like that. Also love being in the clinch myself.

Always thought if Alex Gustafson had a clinch game, he’d be the champion.

1 Like

Hell, if Volkov had a clinch game, he’d be the champion too!!!

How tall guys don’t develop a clinch in MMA is mind-bottling.

2 Likes

Idk if it’s that too many guys train to defend it or what but you’d think that after Silva rearranged Franklin’s face twice with the clinch it would have been kind of a common think to train. Only person I can think of currently that I see use it consistently is Dakota Ditcheva, but she’s fighting women, so maybe that’s part of the problem.

1 Like

Yeah it’s pretty crazy how few fighters know those positions now. Vera used the clinch pretty nicely against Jourdain recently. The only fighters I can think of at the moment that use it will currently are Oliveira and Gaethje. Oliveira is super dangerous there either striking or getting a takedown, Gaethje is grabbing a collar tie to land punches or low kicks.

1 Like

We have an ammy fighter at the academy I train at and he’s a very good fighter, strong fundamentals, attention to detail and good work ethic. He trains boxing and Muay Thai for striking but it’s Caucasianized MT so my academy doesn’t teach all the clinch positions. I gave him a book I have that breaks down all MT clinching and told him if you get good at this, not many guys will be able to deal with it.

2 Likes

You see it in boxing. When a fighter goes up a weight, they can take a better shot. Amir Khan for example.

Its down to the weight cut.

Id imagine Walker cut a lot to make 205. Dehydrated brain makes you more susceptible to KOs.

1 Like

Kickboxing high guard. Traditional Dutch style. Doesn’t work with you aren’t wearing oven mitt sized gloves. That’s the only reason Liddel won their fight. He got through the guard with punch after getting beat down, and the other issue with that guard is you can’t see the punch at all. So if it gets through, you’re fucked and going down

1 Like

Yes I agree but Overeem in those days was also a bit reckless and IIRC was getting tired from hitting the gas so much

And yes that doesn’t really work for MMA and he adapted it to his style better later on in his career.

Also doesn’t work when you are fighting prime Chuck

1 Like

Yeah he was a buzz saw. I remember him being considered a lesser fighter and Wanderlei got made fun of because he wanted to fight him in the Grand Prix at one point. Then Overeem beat vitor and Igor in like A minute.

1 Like

He turned Chuck back into a wrestler quickly. With a REAL camp with better actual nutrition coaching and game planning he could Have saved Liddel from the rampage beat down.

1 Like

Chuck is lucky Overeem didn’t have horsemeat

2 Likes